Foldit is an online game in which humans try to solve one of the hardest computational problems in biology: protein folding. You don't need to know anything about biology to play the game, although a little background will help. Most Foldit player are not biologists. Read about The Science Behind Foldit.
Visit the fold.it, the official Foldit site to download the game and get started. Foldit runs on Windows, Mac, and 64-bit Linux. See Download-Install-Troubleshoot for install instructions. Use the feedback page if you're having trouble getting the game installed.
See Get Started Playing Foldit for more.
See Foldit Status for any issues affecting the game.
- Think small: Puzzle 1432 launches the Small Molecule Design category, targeting HIV protease, as described in a Foldit blog post. (Small molecule design was previously referred to a "drug design".)
- Conditional love, mojo filter: also in the latest developer preview release, the term "condition" has started to replace "filter". (There's still some work to be done, both in Foldit and here in wikiville.)
- Tokens effort: New videos from tokens show how to use the Rama map on de-novo puzzles 1335 and 1375. (Both puzzles were based on Foldit designs.)
- Mystic crystal revelation: a protein designed by Foldit players has been successfully crystallized, and the crystal structure has been solved by X-ray diffraction. Puzzle 1384 presents this protein as an electron density puzzle. See protein crystallization and design updates Part 1 and Part 2 for more.
- Fast Foldit: watch a 2 minute 30 second Foldit video, part of the 2017 NSF STEM for All Video Showcase.
- FolditatUW - foldit's official YouTube channel.
- P1 - Introduction to Protein Design (15m)
- P2 - Design of New Protein Functions (27m)
- Beta_Helix's Foldit video the basics explained (40m)
- Through the eyes of a scientist Design solutions reviewed (26m)
- Design solutions reviewed Part 2 (22m)
- As seen on TV: Origami Revolution. Nova on PBS featured protein folding, David Baker, Rosetta@Home and Foldit. (Minutes 20 through 28, with Foldit briefly mentioned at 23:45.)
- Oldie but goodie: 2013 animated video featuring the Contender's mimi and Renton Innes.
Tools, tips, techniques
- Foldit 101 - Useful information about Puzzle Types, the Cookbook and recipe basics.
- How to get started - With pictures from an actual puzzle
- Puzzle Results - screen shots of top scoring and interesting player solutions.
- Blackbelt Folding - Sessions 1,2, 3 & 4 denovo
- Electron Density - info and videos
- Hydrogen Bond Networks
- Download-Install-Troubleshoot includes Tracks, devprev and using multiple clients on Windows, Mac and Linux
- Foldit chat (IRC)
- Frequently asked questions
- Foldit Accessibility
- Foldit Translations
- Strategy - how to improve your score
- TheGame - tools, score details and Lua scripting
- Groups-Players - groups (teams), players and a bit of humour.
- The Research Room - advanced discussions and lots of external links
- Scientist and Developer Chats
- Hydrogen Bond Networks
- Drug Design Puzzles
- Interesting Articles
Contents ( View All Pages - Foldit Wikia Index )
These pages describe the science of protein folding.
- Primary Structure
- Secondary Structure
- Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic (also known as "blue out, orange in")
- Protein Folding Theory
- Biochemistry I
This is a wiki about the Foldit game that anyone can edit. Before you do edit it, however, please take a look around and determine whether or not the article you'd like to write already exists. (If it does exist, feel free to make it better!)
To write a new article, just enter the article title in the box below.
- Not sure where to start?
- Find out more about the wiki on the About page.
- If you are new to wikis, check out the tutorial.
- Check out Help:Starting this wiki if you're setting up the wiki.
- Adding content
- Every wiki has two list of articles that need help called "Stubs" and "Wanted Articles". Don't be shy, get in there.
- Uploading images is another really easy way to help out - see the Special:Upload page!
- You can find a list of useful templates on Category:Templates, some of which are documented on the templates project page.
- Talk and more...
- Check out the community portal to see what the community is working on, to give feedback or just to say hi.